Friday 22 August 2008

What's that smell ?





 I have seen and smelt Durian many a time in Asia and even in London. Before you get to see it, you can generally smell a mustiness in the air. Then as you get closer the smell becomes more and then your eyes gaze upon this fruit, brown and prickly on the outside and soft and green/yellow on the inside. In some countries it is banned on all forms of public transport and public buildings including hotels. It is normally sold on roadsides away from buildings and the general 
population. Thankfully. 
I am not a fan of it, although I had never tried it before, but the smell was enough to put me off. But we were offered it one day, and decided to accept it and give it a try. I really wish I hadn't of. The only thing I can say about it is that it tastes of cheesy feet. Although I have never tasted cheesy feet, that is what came to mind as I popped that small piece of soft fruit into my mouth. It really does taste worse than it smells. 
It baffles me that people drive for miles to buy this fruit and inspect each one until they find the right one. Then saviour each morsel of the soft green fruit.  Wether they have conditioned to it from birth, fed it by their mothers to get them off baby food, and then they grow a liking to it, or they are just plain mad I do not now. 
They also serve it in cakes and ice creams bu
t I am not tempted to try it again. 
But give it a try if you can and decide for yourselves. Maybe you will like it. Maybe you will join the millions of Asians who love it. Maybe you will be mad, who knows. I for one have joined the long list of people who do not like Durian. 

No comments: