Thursday 20 August 2009

Tinto y Buñuelos … The Breakfast of Champions.


After a 90 minute walk uphill then downhill or a 20 minute bumpy ride on an antiquated Chiva. We were always ready for a filling breakfast. Which in El Retiro there are not too many options.
Thankfully from early on we found the best place to drink “un tinto” and eat buñuelo.
A tinto in Colombia is slightly different from Argentina or Spain, where it is red wine. In Colombia, if you ask for un tinto, you get a cup of black coffee.
Buñuelos are balls of salty cheese and flour, fried till they are golden brown and best served hot. So many times I have eaten them cold, and believe me nothing beats a buñuelo straight from the fryer. I have to admit, it’s probably not the best thing to have first thing in the morning, but hey my arteries aren’t clogged up yet. Soon, but not yet. But for 3,000 pesos (£1) for 2 tintos and 4 buñuelos whose really complaining.
Now, this is a particularly good breakfast and it fits the time and place, but it is by no means the best breakfast I have ever eaten. In no particular order the best brekkies in the world I have eaten are :
1. Chinese Breakfast at a small coffee shop in Singapore with the best culinary ambassador Singapore has to offer. Mr Tay.
2. The Full Monty at the Breakfast Club in Islington. Oh how I miss you.
3. Huevos Rancheros, eaten anywhere in Mexico.
4. Nasi Lemak, eaten with some milky coffee in Penang, Malaysia.
5. Churros and Chocolate in Spain.
6. Eggs Benedict, made by myself.
7. Pho Bo, beef noodle soup had at any small shop in Hanoi. I think the cold weather made them so good.
8. Pho Ga, the chicken version of the above.
9. Taco’s eaten at a street stall in Villahermosa.
10. Dim Sum in Hong Kong. Technically not a breakfast dish, but we always had them for a late breakfast, so who cares.
11. Boiled eggs and toasted soldiers when I was a kid.
As I said the above are in no particular order, but if I had to choose one, then Singapore wins hands down. (Click Here) It’s just fantastic. It’s so good it’s actually worth just going to Singapore for it. Although by the time I’d get there from here, I’d probably have starved to death.
I’d like to know what your fave brekkies are.

No comments: