Sunday 21 October 2012

Two Hungry Girls Present Action against Hunger Supper Club



I don’t know if before I was a fan of Supper Clubs or not, or whether I just hadn’t given them a try to say. But after a night with the Two Hungry Girls, I am definitely a fan now.
The THG were hosting an evening in aid of Action Against Hunger, the global child malnutrition charity, whose work benefits over 6,000,000 people every year. A very worthwhile charity and I was invited along to sample the delights of what they had to offer.
So off to Gospel Oak I went, never been out this way before and got totally lost, and then found the incredible Southampton Arms, a real Cider and Ale House. The first of many finds that night.
The THG’s host their Supper Clubs in one of their houses, and a lovely old mansion it is too.
Gressingham Ducks had sponsored the night and a couple of dishes were to heavily feature this noble and fine bird.


I have to admit I love duck but for some reason I do not eat enough of it, which is a shame as it’s one of the most tastiest birds around.
The menu that night was a mix of Chinese and Malaysian Chinese, and I have to say it was really good, much much better than I was expecting.
We were greeted by our fabulous hosts with a smooth Lychee Liqueur, which went down so well and certainly got the night off to a great start.
I think one of the things with Supper Clubs is basically who you are seated with, it’s a gamble and the two times I’ve been to one, I’ve been next to or close to some very good people, who just make the night go so well.
We were all very impressed with our hosts and their assistant and their incredible cooking skills.
This was more than just home cooking, this was bloody good. We were treated to an array of dishes that just never seemed like they were going to stop.
If I’ve missed off any dishes I apologise, but my notes were as follows.

  • Chilled Silken Tofu with Black Seasem and Century Egg Sauce - loved the tofu and that sauce was so good. So yummy.
  • Poached Chicken with Spring Onion & Ginger Sauce 
- Reminded me of David Chang’s Ginger noodles which I cook a lot at home.
  • Gressingham Duck Buns 
- So very good, except the buns needed warming through some more.
  • Slow Braised Soy Pork Belly 
- Well there isn’t a lot that I can say about this except it was as expected with a slow braised piece of pork belly. Bloody excellent.
  • Chinese Cabbage with Dried Shrimp & Glass Noodles 
- It was ok, but to be honest it was my least favourite dish of the night. It just never married with my taste buds.
  • Garlic Aubergine and Bamboo 
- Even though I am a fully paid up member of the Meat Brigade, this was my favourite dish of the night. I wish there was more of it.
  • Fried Mackerel with Lemongrass Sambal 
- Sent me right back to Kota Kinabalu, loved the kick form the sambal.
  • Teochew Style braised Gressingham Duck 

- Really good and showed off the duck in all its glory.
  • Coconut Ice Cream Profiteroles with a Salted Caramel Sauce 
- A touch of genius and that salted ice cream. Delish.
  • Black Sesame Cream & Soya Bean Milk Pannacotta 
- I should have hated it, but again everything went together like as if they belonged to each other.










We had an excellent night and met some really interesting characters who as well as the food made it a very special night.
I am trying to get a group of friends together to return to the Two Hungry Girls for another fun night. Thank you to everyone who not only invited me but put all this together and that includes Krista for her ever so gentle reminders in getting my ass into gear and publishing this blog. Thank you to one and all.

If you want to get involved and I hope you do with Action Against Hunger's life-saving work please visit lovefoodgivefood


I nabbed this off the Two Hungry Girls blog for some extra added info: the UK Government's UKAID programme has agreed to match pound for pound all public donations to the Love Food Give Food appeal made before 30th November 2012. This means that all donations made to Superheroes events will be doubled, so Action Against Hunger can reach twice as many malnourished children and provide them with the support and nutrition they need to grow, learn and develop.
Read more about Two Hungry Girls Against Hunger on Edible Experiences

2 comments:

Anzac cove dawn service 2013 said...

Our experience We operate anzac day gallipoli tour to the Gallipoli battlefields every day of the year, in fact, we even have a branch office near Gallipoli at Canakkale. Since 2000, we have been one of the biggest tour operators for anzac day gallipoli tours 2013. Our head tour guides are the best anzac day gallipoli tours turkey guides and will brief and train our 100 or so other licensed guides that we need to employe for our anzac day gallipoli tours turkey 2013 travel to ANZAC day gallipoli we have best guarante service Anzac cove dawn service 2013 come and join us

Anzac cove dawn service 2013 said...

Samyeli anzac tours2013 Anzac Day operated by samyeli Gallipoli Tours Turkey get you to the Anzac Day Dawn Service at Anzac Cove , Gallipoli , as well as the Australia service at Lone Pine memorial and the New Zealand service at Chunuk Bair memorial. Samyeli Travel have several Anzac day gallipoli tours turkey 2013 from 2 days to 16 days.


Our experience We operate Gallipoli tours to the Gallipoli battlefields every day of the year, in fact, we even have a branch office near Gallipoli at Canakkale. Since 2000, we have been one of the biggest tour operators for Anzac Day Tours . Our head tour guides are the best Gallipoli tour guides and will brief and train our 50 or so other licensed guides that we need to employ for our Anzac day gallipoli tours turkey ...