Monday 29 November 2010

Crushed Tuscan Bean Soup

With this cold weather settling in for the long term. I really have to start forgetting about those light summer dishes and concentrate on hearty soups and stews to warm the bones and soul in the coming months.
I am a lover of pulses in a major way. T’was probably the reason I could of eaten Colombian frijoles on a daily basis, and very nearly did.
I cannot remember where I got this recipe form, maybe from some Italian cookbook or a restaurant somewhere. Who knows. I’ve never written this one down, so that is why I think maybe someone told it to me.
Anyhows this is my ideal soup, it’s thick and best served warm. Not hot, but warm. Too much heat will kill of the wonderful taste of the beans, and warm it is comforting.


The recipe is quite simple. 
Dried Cannellini beans (soaked for at least 10 hours). No exact measurements but you know how much you normally eat
A small bunch of sage
2 garlic cloves
Large handful of parsley leaves
Salt n pepper
Virgin olive oil
Extra virgin olive oil

  1. Cook the beans with the sage until soft. Skim the scum off the surface as it simmers away
  2. Drain the beans, but save the cooking liquor
  3. Crush the garlic into a purée with salt. Finely chop the parsley
  4. Heat a pan and add a generous amount of olive oil. Add the garlic. When you can smell it and it has changed colour a little. Add the parsley and stir together
  5. Add the beans and mix well
  6. After a few minutes add some of the cooking liquor. Remember this is a thick soup not a thin one. So err on the side of caution. Cook for a few minutes
  7. Once the beans start to break up a bit and release their milky goodness, you can begin to crush them with a ladle or in my case a potato masher. Not to hard as you don’t want a purée
  8. Turn off the heat and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour in some of the virgin olive oil
  9. Ladle into bowls and pour on some of the extra virgin olive oil to give the soup some pepperyness
  10.  Serve with some toasted sourdough bread. Enjoy



1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Mmmm, I wish I were in Tuscany right now!